market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Pricing, price fixing and market rules

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Pricing, price fixing and market rules
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:36:59 -0700

Hi Folks,

For those who wish to look at the archives, you can read my previous diatribes on pricing. Bottomline- you must sell for what it costs you to produce and market your products to break even and you must include a margin to have a profit. Anything else and you are simply not economically sustainable. It doesn't matter what other people are pricing their products for - period.

Also, know what you have to sell. If you think you are selling produce, challenge your assumptions. Most neighborhoods have grocery stores where it is more convenient and cheaper to purchase any given produce item. Can you compete with that? What are you really selling and what are your customers really buying? And what is THAT worth?

It is OK to have an anti-dumping rule in your markets. This does not set a price but allows the management to request an audit of the cost to produce a product that appears to be offered at less than the cost of production. In certified markets, that definitely levels the playing field. In totally open markets, it helps but cannot make up for re-sellers. If your market association isn't willing to do this, or to have an application and inspection process in place for prospective sellers, they will have no control over those who would take the quick money and run while ruining your market.

I, too, gave away produce but never at the farmers' market. If you lower your prices at the end of the day, 1) what does it say about your prices at the start of the day? 2) if you were a customer when would you come to buy/glean? 3) see the first paragraph. I supported the local women's and children's shelter with good quality fresh produce and recipes for years. I had a workshare program on my farm. I didn't lower my prices nor give away produce at the market - did trade with other farmers at the end of market though ;-)

Marcie

--
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle

ask about our books:
Market Farm Forms- Spreadsheet Templates
for Planning and Tracking Information on Diversified Market Farms
AND
The New Farmers' Market: Farm-fresh Ideas for Producers, Managers, and Communities