market-farming - [Market-farming] corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] corn
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:17:22 -0400

> I ran out of time to spray all of my sweet corn for earworms and since it
> was harder to decide the right time in the silking stage to put on the
spray
> on the OP corn, it didn't get sprayed. Interesting enough, the worms are
no
> worse on the unsprayed OP corn than on the hybred corn that did get
sprayed.

Marlin the above worms vs spraying may be just one of those things and not
a variety difference. Of course it could be but further study maybe needed
:).
I say this because our completely unsprayed hybrid (Spring Treat) has a nice
quantity of worms. Our tenent who sprays just told my husband we can pick
as much of his corn as we'd like because it has too many worms for his sales
to grocery stores. While I am not pleased that the fellow lost sales I am
very glad to get a bit of his corn some for CSA folks (who will eat it even
though its conventional) and for my father's 80th birthday party Sat. I
don't entertain big much and am thrilled to have corn :). I know a bit off
topic :). Beth

  • [Market-farming] corn, Hook Family, 08/16/2003