market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Organic production costs - was Market-farming Digest, Vol 7, Issue 17

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Organic production costs - was Market-farming Digest, Vol 7, Issue 17
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Nan3russ AT aol.com
> Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest,

> Also I am strictly organic, not certified and do
> not understand why that
> product should cost more as the costs are lower to
> produce the product.

Maybe you're not considering all the costs, but when
you count the labor that goes into organic practices,
not just the chemicals and fertilizers you're not
buying, things do get quite a bit more expensive. The
hours spent building compost and putting that on an
acre of ground versus the few dollars and minutes of
spreading chemical fertilizers on the same area of
ground would be a good place to start really looking
at the bottom line. If that doesn't convince you,
then consider the few dollars and minutes spent
putting down an herbicide versus the hours spent
cultivating and hand weeding that same acre of ground.
If you're certified organic, add on the extra cost of
paperwork, certification and inspections on top of
that.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, just encouraging
you to look at the whole picture.

Kevin