market-farming - [Market-farming] organic costing more

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] organic costing more
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:05:12 -0400

> Also I am strictly organic, not certified and do not understand why that
> product should cost more as the costs are lower to produce the product.

First of all, to be certified organic is a cost in & of itself, something
conventional crops do not bare. I've farmed organically and conventionally,
at the same time, and neither one "out-costs" the other; the costs are just
different.

Complete crop loss is more of a reality with organics than conventional.
Whereas conventional crops can sometimes be saved by synthetic means,
organic can not, thus one of the reasons for higher costs.

Another reason is that organic crops require more sweat-equity, a cost
that's risen by leaps and bounds in the past 5 years.

And last (there are alot more reasons, but I shan't go into all of them),
the customer base to buy organic is alot smaller than conventional crops,
thus higher costs in marketing and building a customer base.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com
http://www.laughingbrookfarm.com

  • [Market-farming] organic costing more, Liz Pike, 08/15/2003