market-farming - [Market-farming] Market-farming - give away! was Market-farming Digest, Vol 7, Issue 17

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Market-farming - give away! was Market-farming Digest, Vol 7, Issue 17
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:46:20 -0400

> supporting the small farmer of which I am one.

exactly the reason to not give it away...that doesn't support anyone.
Please don't think for a minute I've never given anything away, I was
extremely careful HOW I did it so as to not compromise my professionalism
and that of my fellow farmers/vendors. I had a regular stop I made, after
market day, away from the market, where I took my still fresh, no seconds,
leftovers (a low-income, elderly facility where the residents had a hard
time even getting to the grocery store). I made sure the product was up to
par because family members, potential customers of mine, visited and ate
what I brought, so it was still imperative I put my best foot forward. If
it wasn't fresh, into the compost pile it went.

If people see you giving it away, they come to expect it. Where they may
have spent money with you, they won't now. You may not notice the
perception, but it's out there. If you have to give it away, keep that
activity away from the market.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC