market-farming - [Market-farming] Farmer's markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HoeManGray AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farmer's markets
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 01:09:29 EDT

Hi,
I've been quitely reading the list for a few weeks. What a wealth of
knowledge here!
I am a small cutflower grower in Oregon (my second job-hopefully someday a
fulltime job!).

I sell at our local "Saturday Market" which is a combo produce, plant, and
arts and crafts market. Our market has a consignment booth and that's what
I've
done for 3 years. I'm not quite big enough to have my own booth, hopefully
next year. The consignment booth is managed by the market and takes 20% of
what
you gross. And, you don't have to be there all day. I do volunteer and help
out once a month, but it is a good way to get started, test the market and
see
what people buy. Last year the consignment booth was run by a fellow
cutflower and vegetable grower and her booth was combined with the
consignment booth.
I did much better last year, I suspect it was because people didn't know
whose goods they were buying! However, I think it will be better in the long
run
as the consignment booth gathers steam again and gains a reputation for
quality, locally grown produce (arts & crafts aren't allowed.) And, from a
market
perspective, its a way for new growers to get started and help the market
earn
a bit of money.
Thanks for all the information so far.
Wendy Gray
~Cutflowers For You~
Hood River, OR

  • [Market-farming] Farmer's markets, HoeManGray, 08/15/2003