market-farming - [Market-farming] Cider

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cider
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 05:35:26 -0400

Friends -

Having access to a large (but manual), cider press, I've been planning on pressing cider this fall with the CSA.

Recently it dawned on me that this might not be that good of an idea.

Knowing that cider was the top drink of 19th cent America (cider, not necessarily hard cider), I do not really have a fear of cider as potentially deadily, but I'm wondering if making cider with a group is irresponsible at this point in time.

I'm considering a 'bring your own jugs' sort of farm-scale juicing of the 6 standard trees we have.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

-Allan Balliett