market-farming - [Market-farming] Bean Sheller plans, and Remay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bean Sheller plans, and Remay
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 07:42:56 -0400

Hello,
To Bob, I did receive the plans. Looks good. This thing looks very much
like a grain thresher. kind of the same idea I guess. Have you built this
thing yet? Do the bean just fall out through the screen mesh?
To whoever asked about remay, it is a brand name of a floating row cover.
I know that these things are made out a variety of plastics, but for the
most part they are spun-bonded polyethylene fibers. I think I remember
hearing a reference to floating row covers, something like "angel hair".
They can keep the frost off from plants within a few degrees of freezing.
They let the light in, maybe 80-90% of it, and supposedly will let the rain
through, but I think most of it runs off. Not that it would keep you dry in
a rainstorm either. But it keeps all the visiting bugs away. doesn't help
with the ones that lay dormant in the soil before eating your plants. But
maybe through crop rotations you could use a floating row cover to keep the
flying adult insect from laying eggs that would become dormant larvae that
later eat your plants.

Paul Bock