market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: tips for pregnant farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nicole <nbrown AT bbtel.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: tips for pregnant farmers
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:14:28 -0400

>>So now I'm wondering how much CSA can I manage next year with a newborn.<<

That's going to be your biggest challenge, I think!

I'm not a farmer (yet), but I spend a lot of time in the garden. I've had two babies - one in Oct, one in Jan - and found that things really take longer to accomplish when you have a baby to tend to as well as the garden/farm chores. You can do a lot with a baby in a sling (which are much more comfortable than front-pack carriers, more versatile, easier to deal with, better for baby), but I could never master using a long-handled tool with baby in the front. An older baby can be slung on the hip or the back of a hip... personally, if I had real work to do, I put the baby in the stroller and let her watch what I was doing (it was the only use our stroller got!). Obviously you can't (okay, really really shouldn't) take a baby on a tractor, and you shouldn't push-mow with small children around (though I did mow with a bagger and baby in a frame backpack - another good investment).

The great thing about having a baby while you garden or farm, is they make you sit down and nurse them every couple hours or so... a good excuse to rest! (That's assuming you're going to breastfeed - but even if you bottlefeed, of course you sit down with baby and hold the bottle.)

Just wait until you're spending half your time chasing your 18-month old (that's where I'm at, *sigh*).

Nicole in KY
Mom to Rachel, almost 3, and Megan, 18 mos.)

  • [Market-farming] Re: tips for pregnant farmers, Nicole, 07/24/2003