market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] cultivated ginseng

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] cultivated ginseng
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:09:47 -0400

I live in New York State and I don't need to be licensed to buy seeds or roots.  If I am harvesting WILD ginseng there is a season policed by our Department of Environmental Conservation.  And there are rules to harvesting the WILD ginseng.  (i.e. must plant seeds of the plant being harvested within 50 feet of parent plant, etc.)  I believe you can transplant and move your OWN ginseng on your property out of that season (which is in the fall by the way) but you better have lots of proof that you purchased seed or roots at a certain time, etc. to prove that what you are doing is transplanting your own cultivated ginseng.  A couple guys around here got busted for harvesting ginseng on their property out of season, and I don't know if they were able to prove that it wasn't a wild plot.  Now I can sell it within that season to another resident of New York State without being licensed, but if I want to sell it out of state, I have to be licensed and the ginseng has be to inspected and weighed, etc.  I have started some plants but I have not gotten to the selling part yet.  Check out www.catskillginseng.com  And the Empire State Ginseng Growers Association ESSGA