market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Internships

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Internships
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:35:51 -0700 (PDT)

Rural Heritage is a magazine (and website:
ruralheritage.com) dedicated to horse farming and
logging. They have a substantial listing of
internships, of course limited to at least partly
horse-powered operations. Some of the things I see
offered interns are room and some level of board,
ranging from a tent and vegetables to a room in the
house and three squares a day. Some offer a stipend
in addition to the training (i.e. cheap labor), but
there should be a legitimate level of training such
that an intern would be able to leave your place and
perform at a certain level of competency. I have no
idea how successful farmers are at getting interns,
but some of the descriptions make me want to take a
sabbatical from my operation.

Some of the folks in my market have older people
working for them, which would seem to be the best
situation. I have a girl help me out on harvest days,
and I'm amazed at what you have to tell kids these
days. If you're serious about a real internship, my
guess is you're going to have to expand your search to
a larger region or even nationally. What we do has
appeal to only a very small majority of the
population.

I'm not sure how coherent that was, nor do I really
care right now. All I really want is that last cold
beer in the fridge...

Kevin

=====
Krystyna L. Prochocki