market-farming - [Market-farming] labels and printers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Caryl Elzinga" <alderspring AT salmoninternet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] labels and printers
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:03:03 -0600

We just went through the color label effort. I contacted about 10 vendors
(can find on an internet search) with my specs and asked for quotes. If
your label size is not too critical, ask for their best quote for a stock
label near your size (we saved considerably with a little tweaking in our
label size). You'll have to balance the upfront costs of the color plate
preparation with the per label charge, and will have to consider how many
labels you plan to print. Might want to also think about updates. We made
all our printing in black so if we wanted to make changes to text it only
affected one print plate in the future. We used Flexo Impressions and were
very pleased. We are saving about half over the cost of Kinkos and they
look very professional.

To label our meat, we had to have the USDA approve the label. Very
time-consuming. We used a submission company, and felt we had been ripped
off (their final bill was 7 times their original quote because our label was
"so complicated" but we finally got them to reduce the bill to about 4 times
their original quote...live and learn) Could have done it ourselves for
much less $$$.

Check with state and fed rules for your product. One vendor at our farmers
market had conditional approval on a label, printed $1500 worth of them,
only to have the USDA say he had to make a change. Ugh.

Have fun!

  • [Market-farming] labels and printers, Caryl Elzinga, 07/15/2003