market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Manure and Organic Standards

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Manure and Organic Standards
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:51:30 -0400

> Although we are not certified organic, we try to stick close to the
Organic Standards. Recently I was asked the reason why manure can't be used
(uncomposted) in organic veg gardens. I mumbled vaguely about diseases. Can
anyone give me a concise explanation, or point me at the right website?

Mostly because the media went e-coli crazy, very partially due to some farms
mishandling its application. Here's what the law Subpart C, 205.203 states:

(c) The producer must manage plant and animal materials to maintain or
improve soil organic matter content in a manner that does not contribute to
contamination of crops, soil, or water by plant nutrients, pathogenic
organisms, heavy metals, or residues of prohibited substances. Animal and
plant materials include:
(1) Raw animal manure, which must be composted unless it is:

(i) Applied to land used for a crop not intended for human consumption;

(ii) Incorporated into the soil not less than 120 days prior to the harvest
of a product whose edible portion has direct contact with the soil surface
or soil particles; or

(iii) Incorporated into the soil not less than 90 days prior to the harvest
of a product whose edible portion does not have direct contact with the soil
surface or soil particles;

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC