market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Teas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andrews, Shirley F." <SAndrews AT AcademicBookServices.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Teas
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:38:09 -0400

I am a member of the American Herbal Guild and have been studying herbs
for the past 2 years. One of my favorite is a 'Tonic Tea'. You can
grow the herbs or buy them (Pacific Botanticals in Oregon have organic
and good prices). The recipe:

2 parts Nettles
1 part oat straw tops
1 part red clover
1 part dandelion leaf
1 part peppermint

Mix all and bag. I type a nice looking info sheet with brewing
instructions and attach to bag. I sell 3 oz for $5.00 but could go
higher.
To brew: mix 2 tablespoons with quart of boiling water. Allow to sit
5-20 minutes depending on taste (the longer the stronger the taste).
Strain and drink either hot or at room temperature but not cold. After
one week you will notice increased energy. Nettle (common stinging
kind) is one of the most nutritious plants however wear gloves if you
gather in the wild. Drying will eliminate stingers however if you mix
large quantities you will have some skin irritation so wear gloves then
also.

Plain mint teas (peppermint seems most popular) are excellent for
digestion and pleasant tasting. Herbal teas would make a nice
compliment to honey sales.

Thyme, sage, basil are also good, there are various recipes for these.
Of course chamomile is one of the most popular also if you can grow
these flowers.