market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: SHADE

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: SHADE
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:48:09 EDT

Folk
Yesterday was the first market day that I had taken fresh salad and basil to sell.  It was also the warmest day so far (but only a sunney 81).  Both the basil and salad wilted along with me by 9am! - not to mention that the vinegars got very warm. So I have two problems>

1) I need a shade awning of some sort - my place faces the east and there are no nearby trees in the parking lot.  The ht of the common awning doesn't seem to be able to shade the early sun but may helpr with the higher angle after 9,30 or so.  I have been hesitant to buy an 'Easy-Up' because I usually have no-one else with me to help put it up.  Are there any models that can be assembled easily by one person and/or that can attatch to the truck/suv (we are able to parkt he trucks along the back of the double parking space). and preferably not expensive!

2- Keping and displaying fresh salad stuff.  Yesrday I used a metal bowl with water and the basil was bunched, the salad/meslum was bagged.  Any suggestions????

BTW - to the person who questioned vinegars and putting produce into bags - we do have to comply with Health regs and I do have a certified kitchen to do them in, Without the kitchen I could only pick and sell -not rinse (we are on a well), and not put into sealed bags
Thanks
Katy

Living just one cornfield away from civilization