market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] -Squash blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] -Squash blossoms
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:27:14 -0400

Here's a question, Bill: if unpollinated, will that embryionic fruit grow a little bit before it 'dies' or rots? Or will it always be the size it was behind the blossom?

Yes, I'm looking for the answer to that mysterious problem of very small squash (usually yellow squash) rotting off the vine instead of continuing to grow. These squash are over an inch long, but still very small.

Again - I'm asking if these could possibly be unpollinated ovaries rather than true baby squash that abort for some unknown reason.

thanks -Allan