market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] bean beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] bean beetles
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:19:49 -0500

Regards to the list:

We had those pesky things already too! I sprayed them with a mixture of
pickling lime and water - about 1/4 cup lime to a gallon of water. Have
to keep shaking the sprayer to keep it mixed up. When the rain washed
that off I sprayed with my habanero spray. Take about a half cup of
dried habaneros, throw into a big pot of water (I use a large stock pot
or a canner) and boil. Let cool and pour through a strainer. This got
rid of the bugs. The rabbits will take one bite and do flip flops.
It's a lot more fun than shooting them. Also, the deer won't come back
for another bite. My huge plot of habaneros is not for human
consumption, it's to make pesticide.

Marie in Missouri