market-farming - [Market-farming] CSA size

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] CSA size
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:34:35 -0400

Would like to know how a farmer comes up with the number of "shares" to sell
and how much of the product is given to each "share". I checked out the CSA
web site and I understand how the price is figured per share, per season. I
could'nt find anything on how to gage portions or number of shares. Just
curious. I do grow some corn, peas, beans, and squash on about 3/4 acre and
sell to my neighbors. I also sell eggs and fryer rabbits.

Janet

We went from hobby garden to what we thought we could handle 10 members.
That worked ok and we grew way too much so we figured we could deal with 30.
This year year 6 we are 39. Last year we were 35 I would go up a few when
the weather is not cooperating :). I was 43 a couple years ago and while we
grew enough I found that many folks wanting my attention a bit much :). I
am quite hands on and write a newsletter and tend my pick ups so its sort of
"in your face" from both sides members and mine. Some CSA simply provide
veggies delivered or you come get end of story. Many are even more involved
than I in having pot luck parties etc. I tried once but only a handful came
and I decided entertaining and farming was too much work :).

We have about 2+sh acres under cultivation with "all" your basic veggies.
Its just hubby and I and an occasional seasonal (school kid) worker. so you
might says we "tested" the 40 ish member size and feel thats were we are
comfortable.

Beth

  • [Market-farming] CSA size, Hook Family, 06/19/2003