market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Watering Lettuce Beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Russ and Rosie <russandrosie AT attbi.com>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Watering Lettuce Beds
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:58:14 -0700

Allan,

I never have had rot and I water overhead. One thing I do, perhaps, that
helps with that is I have an inch or so of commercially prepared compost
that I put on my salad greens beds. It doesn't splash up on the leaves
like plain soil does. I dunno. I'm still a bit of a green horn.

Rosie
Tanglewood Farm - Pacific Northwest

I'm running into a fair amount of unanticipated trouble keeping my
cutting mix lettuce beds watered.

What's happening is that I'm getting rot on the lower leaves of
buttercrunch-type lettuces. My customers like the fluffy head
lettuces in the mix, so I include them. I'm also getting some areas
of the beds that just fall down. I assume that this is a fungus, also
due to watering from overhead.