market-farming - [Market-farming] hoes ... again

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "SisterSoap" <sisoap AT gwtc.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] hoes ... again
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:55:10 -0600

I've recently seen, in some gardening magazine?  A hoe and something else, recommended by Elliot Coleman.. I can't remember what it was in.  But reading that article, I realized I shouldn't be bending over chopping at the ground.. I even kept my thumbs up like he says to do.. I was amazed at how much easier that way.. 'cept my back can't take too much bending over..oy!

After reading the previous posts about hoes, I've decided I need to buy myself a decent hoe.  I've used one that my gramma had for years.. 'til the handle broke.
 Last year I went to our local hardware store and bought the only one they had.  I'm going to give it to my girls, it's way too short for me.

Gardener's Supply Company has a goose neck hoe, it has a 58" hardwood ash handle, the blade is 6" hardened carbon steel..  I'm 5' 10".  Is that handle going to be long enough for me ?  I'm awfully "frugal" (not cheap like dh says!) and I'd hate to spend the money on another tool that I'm not going to be happy with.

Maybe I'll have to go visit Franklin and talk him outta one of his <g&d>

Rosie..Black Hills..South Dakota