market-farming - [Market-farming] Salad spinner and Dandelion leaves

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nicole <nbrown AT bbtel.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Salad spinner and Dandelion leaves
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:04:32 -0400

I'm wondering if a washing machine wouldn't work as a big salad spinner? I don't grow for market yet (we're still in the soil-building and planning stages), but I don't see where a washing machine wouldn't be just as effective, larger, and maybe cheaper (initially - though they use electricity) than the commercially available salad spinners. If you use a used machine, you'd want to clean it thoroughly - I know there are things you can do to get rid of the detergent buildup and crud that accumulates between the tub and the (whatever the outer tub is called).

What do the big commercial salad spinners cost, what is their capacity, are they all hand-operated? I've seen the big orange one in seed catalogs, so that's what I have in mind to compare to... is that what most of you use? Am I missing something in thinking a washing machine would be better?

Nicole in Kentucky

P.S. On a completely different subject, I recently discovered giant dandelion (leaves) growing in a spot I keep forgetting to mow... I love Dandelion Italiano and in fact just finished up a bowl of these giant leaves... I actually purchased dandelion seed this year, hoping to get a good crop in a large tub in the greenhouse, but the seed didn't come up. I'm going to try again; meanwhile, I'm going to keep forgetting to mow that spot! It must be the competition from other weeds that makes these grow so large - the dandelions I find in my garden and yard are all stem and no leaf, but these were absolutely culinary!

Dandelion leaves are a terrific source of calcium (and more absorbable than that in cow's milk), potassium, folic acid, and many other minerals. It's a good liver and kidney tonic, and will help prevent and treat pre-eclampsia in pregnancy; will help prevent jaundice in newborns if taken by the mother during pregnancy; and will help increase and sustain lactation (this is all from Susun S. Weed's "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year"). I'm pregnant for the 3rd time, and since I discovered Dandelion Italiano I positively CRAVE it throughout my pregnancies. I wish I could buy it - seriously, I've exhausted my supply here on the property. I'm crazy about this stuff! My husband says I'm just crazy. ;)

RECIPE FOR DANDELION ITALIANO: (quoted from the book mentioned above)

"Pick and thoroughly wash a "mess" of Dandelion (or Dandelion and Chicory) leaves. Avoid picking from roadsides, under powerlines, or in areas that have been sprayed with weed killers. Hold greens in parallel bunches and chop into half inch pieces. Put all the chopped leaves into a pan, cover them with boiling water, and then set the pan over heat until the water boils again. Drain off the water. Repeat this process once or twice more. If the greens need more cooking, add a small amount of boiling water and steam for a few minutes. Drain them well, then add several tablespoons of vinegar, a good coating of olive oil, some salt or tamari, and (optional) lots of minced Garlic or Garlic powder. Stir well, taste and correct seasoning (you'll probably need to add more vinegar). This makes a tangy, slightly bitter addition to any meal, even breakfast!"

I like to add parmesan cheese as well. And IMO the garlic is not optional. :) You can make up a big bunch and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks; it's yummy warm or cold.

Maybe those of you with sparse CSA offerings can go pick some dandelion and include a similar recipe. :)

Nicole in KY