market-farming - [Market-farming] vermi composting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pete, Judi & Shania" <corbettj AT computer-products.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] vermi composting
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:43:19 -0400

Red wigglers are the same as manure worms. They can be found in many places, or you can start with a pound or so and seed your beds or compost heap and go from there. I do recommend that it is better to buy as I understand that there are worms in the states that eat like troupers, will starve out the good worms and don't produce the castings that you desire.

Household vermicomposting is a great idea and you can not beat their castings for fertilizer. I keep a bin in my kitchen at all times. I sell my worms to seed manure piles, compost heaps, under rabbit cages, for house hold bins and for fish worms.

What people are seeing with these kinds of crash and burn situations are the same as all other get rich quick schemes. people are convinced to buy from a specific place, are promised huge sales, but told they can only sell to them. There are rabbit operations like this as well and the original person usually doesn't have anything. they tend to buy at a low price from their producers, sell at a high price to their new breeders and set up selling situations that also sell high.

Worms do not cost anything to keep, though I have heard that there is a commercial worm food, I think Purina Worm Chow? But hey why would anyone want to pay for food when so much is available for free!! Frankly I think every person here on this list should be using worms and composting as much as they can. It produces amazing (can't be beat) fertilizer that is wonderful for new plants, allows slower water absorption, has higher nutrients and prevents damp off. They break compost heaps down fast and efficiently and it is all done organically!!

I have some information on worms on my page, but there  are certainly better sources. There are people who are marketing castings at an amazing profit, others who have set up excellent fish worm operations, but most of us are  just little guys who use it at home and sell a bit. My biggest product to sell at the Farmers Markets are my vermicomposting bins!!

Judi Corbett
http://gtigaan.tripod.com - CSA, Rabbits, Chickens, Vermiculture, Herbs, and more

  • [Market-farming] vermi composting, Pete, Judi & Shania, 06/13/2003