market-farming - [Market-farming] Peas please?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Bosko" <mjbosko AT jmtsystems.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Peas please?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:59:45 -0700

Ok, I did what I do every year, w/o learning from my mistakes…

I planted a big ol long row of peas split in half by pea pods and standard peas.  At the time, I figured to myself, “there are only two types … ‘I’ll remember’ which are which.”  Surely knowing by previous years, that after only a week I’d be sure to forget.

Well, now I ask… how can I tell which set of peas are for pea pods, and which are for letting grow into peas for freezing.  One thing I have learned from previous years is that pea pods, if left to grow tend to be starchy where peas, if picked early,  aren’t there to grow into peas to freeze.  Argh.

Is there any visible way to tell the two apart now that its time to pick the pods?

Also curious, is there any way to preserve pea pods for post-season use?  Can they be frozen?

Thanks!

Mike ‘Duh’ Bosko

JMT SYSTEMS CONSULTING

http://www.jmtsystems.com