market-farming - [Market-farming] Mr. Big Peas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pat Rupiper" <arupiper AT bright.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mr. Big Peas
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 05:37:46 -0400

I received a $10 group of seeds from Gurney's as a package (no choice in seeds). Contained were two garden pea packages. Both are now bearing but I don't know when to pick. The first is Mr. Big and the package said that it was 24 inch plants and to harvest when they just begin to fill out. Well, the plants are around 4 ft. the pods are 5 - 7 inches and not filling out. they are not the 'doubles produced at the top of the plant for easy picking"!  I called the company last week but got shuffled around and have not received any type of answer. I figure they are snow peas.
The other is Early Alaska. The same with the statement and the vines but they are plumping. It states "plump 2 1/2 inch pods that cook up smooth."
Does this mean that the pods are edible? Can anyone give me the correct harvest stage?
I am a farmer's market gardener in southern Ohio. I grow chemical free but am not certified as price is too high and return is too low.
Thank you. Pat