market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA defn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA defn
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:39:12 EDT

In a message dated 6/9/03 12:14:53 PM US Eastern Standard Time, krt7425 AT cox.net writes:

What exactly is CSA and how does it work?

Kristi

Kristi
Perhaps I can help - Community Supported Agriculture is a system where a farmer agrees to supply a customer with seasonal veg each week for the duration of the season.  Each customer pays for the veg upfront (usually, I think) and the farmer then supplies the produce either by personal delivery or to pre-arranged pickup places..  Obviously where you are in the country and who your farmer is will determine the exact agreement.  Each customer thus buys a 'share' of the farm produce.  I suspect the frustration with people who divide their share is due to the nature of how to split small quantities of fruit or processed items.
Don't feel out of depth by not knowing this term - I only came across it in the last few years and it seems to be particularly favored by organic farmers who are under represented in the traditional supermarket.
I am sure others will contribute to this very general explaination.
Living just one cornfield away from civilization

Katy (who is trying to remember to send posts in black not burgundy - please accept my apologies if in my hast I sometimes forget to change)

  • Re: [Market-farming] CSA defn, KTCopsey, 06/09/2003