market-farming - [Market-farming] ADMIN: anti-virus protection

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ADMIN: anti-virus protection
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:38:32 -0400

I've received several complaints concerning viruses. That's not to say they
came from the list, but if you do not have protection, then you're putting
600+ people at risk. If you do not have anti-virus protection on your
computer, do not participate in this list!! Remove all traces of this list
& member addresses from your address book promptly, and unsubscribe until
you've got yourself protected.

If you do get a virus, do not automatically blame this list. Viruses,
especially Klez, are notorious for spoofing "from" email addies, meaning the
address from which the virus appears to have originated isn't the real
sender. If your name is in an address book anywhere, you're at risk,
independent of the list. There's nothing I can do about that. With 60,000
viruses, it's a sad reality we'll be infected sometime.

There are several programs out there. I use Norton, another is Macaffee
http://www.inklineglobal.com/adsales/google/vs_offer_macaffee.html , and
another that is a free download (available immediately), is available here:
http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm

If your anti-virus program offers scanning of outgoing mail, enable it. I
know it takes a few extra seconds (& I've been sending out 200+ emails daily
the past few days), but it's worth the peace of mind. Thanks for your
cooperation!

Liz Pike
List Administrator
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com
http://www.laughingbrookfarm.com

  • [Market-farming] ADMIN: anti-virus protection, Liz Pike, 06/09/2003