market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fusarium

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fusarium
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 22:50:19 -0400

Lucy,

Short answer- plant alliums.

Long answer- In the film "Life in the Soil" about "nature farming" in Japan,
there's a segment on fusarium in melons. The Japanese found that a bacteria
symbiont of leeks ate the fusarium spores when they started growing. This
is an example of a diverse ecosystem in the soil protecting plants (A la
Elaine Ingham at soil foodweb).

After seeing this video in 1993, I've put garlic or onions in my rotation
before tomatoes or melons. I also use them as companion crops with these.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm