market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clover, bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clover, bees
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 02:45:21 +0000

Marie from Missouri wrote:

>We are getting our first bees next week. I have been cautioned not to
> plant sweet clover because it takes over and you can't get rid of it. I
> saw where you seeded your meadow to alsike clover. I am wondering if
> that would be a good clover to use as a living mulch between rows of
> tomatoes plus make the bees happy.

I have a book titled "Honey Plants of North America", written by John H.
Lovell
in 1926, in which he recommends all the white clovers for bees. He likes
alsike best, and that's why I used it. But I'd imagine Dutch white would be
okay, too. Beekeeping magazines have ongoing dialogs about RED clover; some
claim ordinary honey bees can't exploit it well because their tongues are too
short.

And, yes, I think most farmers hereabouts would agree (white) sweet clover is
hard to get rid of. Also, Lovell warns that sweet clover honey can taste bad.

Dave Campbell

  • Re: [Market-farming] clover, bees, dave . kathy, 06/06/2003