market-farming - [Market-farming] clover, bees and strawberrie - was New Member Biography

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] clover, bees and strawberrie - was New Member Biography
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:23:07 -0500

Regards to the list:

I am happy to see all the new people here. Don't worry Dave, it will
slow down - during the summer it is usually very quiet around here.
Sometimes we even think the list isn't working.

We are getting our first bees next week. I have been cautioned not to
plant sweet clover because it takes over and you can't get rid of it. I
saw where you seeded your meadow to alsike clover. I am wondering if
that would be a good clover to use as a living mulch between rows of
tomatoes plus make the bees happy.

The tomatoes we planted into wet soil are blooming already and the
"concrete" soil is softening up with every rain we get. The 2000
strawberry plants we got into the ground last weekend have now had two
inches of soft, steady rain and they're looking great. Right now, it
looks like we won't have to take the plant money to Las Vegas next year
after all. Of course, there are lots more hurdles to cross before
strawberry time next year.

Welcome everyone!

Marie in Missouri