market-farming - [Market-farming] New Members

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Joe Kames" <farfish AT francomm.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New Members
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 21:14:52 -0400

Greetings,

We are Joe and Mary Kames, Our little farm is in New York's Hudson Valley at the foot of the Catskill Mnts. We have been growing large raised beds of vegetables for 10 years. Recently we have come to specialize in; tomatoes, basil, kuta squash, and greens, which we sell to local restaurants.

Four years ago we built a 20x50 poly greenhouse. We grow a variety of annuals,perennials, and herbs which we sell in pots at the local farmers market. We start most of our plants from seed but do a few from plugs.(We learned about market farming.org through the Johnny's Selected Seed Newsletter. We get seeds from Stokes also)

We would love to hear recommendations on what pot and container plants to market. Our current best seller is miniature dahlias.

We are grateful to the Cornell Co-op Agricultural extension for their teaching and support. We generally do well but are still learning.
We also keep bees and give the honey as gifts to our friends and relatives.