market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] HOT AND DRY

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] HOT AND DRY
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:16:31 -0500

Regards to the list:

Hi Wendy, welcome to the group!

What do you do with your birds when the tomatoes are ripe?  We have trouble with chickens and guineas taking a bite out of every ripe tomato.  My neighbor took my laying hens this spring – they were digging up my gardens getting the seeds. (yes, we fed them).  Our area was deluged with grasshoppers last year, but we didn’t have any, thanks to the birds.  But, we didn’t have many tomatoes either.

Here in north central Missouri, we’re getting enough rain.  We got 2000 strawberry plants and about 500 cabbages in the ground over the weekend and got an inch+ rain Monday.  Everything is looking good – the best gardens I’ve had in a long time.  The weeds are spectacular too.

Marie in Missouri

WE HAVE FLOCKS OF GUINEA FOWL AND CHICKENS FREE RANGING THROUGH THE GARDENS TO KEEP GRASSHOPPERS UNDER CONTROL.