market-farming - [Market-farming] Harvesting Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Harvesting Garlic
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 21:15:17 -0400

Jim wrote:

What are the scapes used for? I would assume in salads or pickeled like
capers. Or is that what capers are?

No, they are too big for capers. Capers come from a lovely plant from Spain -- some have nasty thorns, but they all have beautiful flowers that look like white/purple butterflies. They will probably grow great in Texas -- if you have a chance, get some plants -- the flowers are so beautiful you'll not want to harvest the unopened buds to make capers.

Scapes are sauted in veggie dishes. They are cooked and used in Asian cooking quite often, but they are hard to find in the US, so you don't see them used in many Korean/Chinese/Indian restaurants. You can also make a nice pesto with them or pickles.

If you wait too long the husk will have deteriorated and lets the cloves sort
of fall off. My wife who uses lots of garlic always complains about what I
gather being bitter. Thought maybe it was because not gathering at right
time.

I have never gathered it when the husk is the pretty clean white like
what you buy in the grocery.

That's when you need to harvest them. They store a whole lot better and they taste pretty good then, too.

> Someone tell me again why I'm living in PA! ;-<
Its cooler and you have more rain. We finally got the best rain of the year
last nite averaging close to 3 inches.

Good heavens -- we've been getting some rain every day, but it all adds up to about an inch and a half over the WEEK! And it's definitely cool -- it hasn't broken the 50s for days, but I'm planting my eggplant tomorrow *regardless* -- I'm tired of staring at the seedlings and I need the space for the melons that are germinating.

BTW, I've started putting melons and squash transplants (grown in large newspaper pots) in the spaces that I harvest garlic out of in June/July. They seem to like the extra nitrogen topped with straw mulch in my garlic beds and they seem to shade out any late summer fall weeds that grew in the patch after I'd harvested all the garlic.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of