market-farming - [Market-farming] Harvesting Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Harvesting Garlic
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 08:36:45 -0400

Jim wrote:

Since we are on the subject of garlic, when should it be harvested for
the bulbs?

When 40% of the leaves are brown (of course, different varieties have different numbers of leaves, so check now to see how many leaves your garlic has). Late June through July here in Southeastern PA.

Someone told me that it should be pulled when the bloom pod
pops open.

I'm trying to develop a market for the scapes here in PA -- if you cut them off, the bulbs will be bigger. However, if you cut them off too soon, the bulbs may not store as long.

I have always waited till fall when the stalk has dried
down.

Wow! And the bulbs didn't pop open such that the individual cloves were exposed? And you could actually save cloves for planting next year? Someone tell me again why I'm living in PA! ;-)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of