market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing anything in bags

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing anything in bags
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:20:48 -0400

> take old plastic or burlap bags, fill them with soil/compost, cut slits in
> the bags and then put the plants in the slits.

Around here, this is a popular method used by greenhouse growers, except
they used commercial bags of potting soil, don't fill their own. It's
basically hydroponics with soil to keep the plants upright.

It's weird enough watching plants grow indoors, but to see them in bags,
too, no ground--too Jetsony for me. But, it might be profitable for those
selling transplants, a kind of "instant container garden in a bag" (talk
about value-added). I've seen 6 plants (lettuce, dwarf tomatoes, etc) per
40qt bag of soil.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC