market-farming - [Market-farming] tomato taste and potato planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] tomato taste and potato planting
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:20:54 -0400

I rather thinks its fun that tomato taste can't be "officially" tested for.
I say find a tomato(s) that grow well and tastes good to you and your
customers. I think most direct farm customers are so pleased to have a non
grocery store tomato that they find the taste is better than what they
usually have.

Potato planting I have never grown them in containers but we cut them
usually in 1/2 or 1/3s sometimes in quarters. I try to get two eyes in each
chunk. The eyes do not need to be sprouted. We almost never cure them.
Cut and plant. The only time they get a chance to dry out is if we run out
of planting time for a day and they sit for a day.

We are on our fourth year with Organic potatoes from Moose Tubers a division
of Fedco seeds. We get them via the bulk order of NOFA. Even so we were a
bit sticker shocked at the price compared to off the shelf garden store.
But we have found that the germination is 50 to even 100% better. Our first
year we used them the area we planted got flooded well about 1/3 of it. But
the rest of the harvest was very adequate. The past two years planted in
"normal" location and we've gotten alot of potatoes. I had enough for 4lb a
week for 35 CSA members for 13ish weeks plus some to sell at a coop and of
course some for myself. I'd still be eating some but my basement is too
warm for great storage.

Beth