market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mf AT austinfarm.org
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dry
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 06:36:05 -0500

> What is the weather like in the Rio Grande Valley and the high plains and El
> Paso.

What is commonly referred to as "The Valley" or the "Rio Grande Valley"
is actually the lower Rio Grande valley. It is an irrigated farm area
going up the valley 100-200 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Freezes are
rare, once in five years or so. Quite a bit of citrus is grown there.
Humid. Hot. El Paso and the chile growing areas of New Mexico to the
north of El Paso are in the upper Rio Grande valley, 600-800 miles
up stream from the Gulf of Mexico. Much higher and much drier there.
Cool nights, down in the 60s or maybe even 50s, in the summer. Lower
valley summer night time lows will be in the 80s.

In Texas, you need to get a couple of hundred miles away from the Gulf
of Mexico coast to find really nice dry growing conditions.

I'm in central Texas, summer climate not much different from the lower
Valley. We freeze from November through March, many years only a few
times, though. Bill's climate in east Texas is similar. I have not
had or seen much luck growing New Mexico type chiles (8"-10" long) in
our hot-night, humid area. I think they need low humidity and cool
nights. If I'm incorrect, perhaps Bill will set me straight. It seems
jalapeno and similar types can be grown well all across Texas.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html