market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce in April

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce in April
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:39:33 -0700

> Row cover will not shade. The temps under it will usually be at least 4*
> higher than outdoor temps depending on what brand of row cover you're
using.
> Remove the cover, but leave the plastic.

I have always thought the same thing. But the muting effect of the color
intensity of the Red Sails and the Regina di Maggio varieties suggests to me
that there is some shading effect there though not much. If I recall
correctly, several catalogs carrying row covers mention that row covers of
the same density as mine have about an 80-90% light transmission capability.
The 4 degree temperature differential you mention would most likely apply
during overnight lows in the 30's but I question that during the daytime
when the sun would be shining directly onto black plastic without the row
cover. There is one good way to find out. Place thermometers on the
plastic both under and outside of the row covers and compare.

Allen I'm sure you know where the Shenandoah Valley is. I'm about 50-60
miles south of you not far west of I-81.

Marlin Burkholder
VA