market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] web page hosting?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Heininger" <xxchef AT wmonline.com>
  • To: "Market-Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Allan Balliett" <igg AT igg.com>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] web page hosting?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:34:14 -0700

Allan,

This is a really interesting idea and you're right, taking control of your
own "pointing" sounds like a great way to quickly and easily test drive a
bunch of WPPs. Unfortunately it also sounds like my personal version of
purgatory!

I have no problem immersing myself in this quest or climbing that steep
learning curve to figure out what I need and want but I don't want to make a
lifestyle or ongoing project out of it. I expect find a stable company and
open a long-term relationship with them that should last until I outgrow
their capabilities (life should be so good to me right?).

We're doing a lot of physical plant building right now on the ranch and
developing our dairy infrastructure. A hugely disproportionate amount of
time and effort is going into the foundation and footing work - everything
has to be perfect planned and perfectly done. That's kind-of how I'm
looking at this WPP search, I want a sound base to build on: bedrock, not
shifting sands, I really do not want to have to go through this whole search
and seek process again anytime in the near future, certainly not on a normal
periodic basis and, heaven forbid, as a regularly planned activity.

Having said that... How do you deal with dns transfer fees, start-up fees
etc for all the WPPs you try out? Don't those costs add up pretty quickly?
If you just hop between services with no-cost start-up, doesn't that limit
you investigations to only lower-tier services?

Thanks for the suggestion,
David

Come visit us on the web:
BlackMesaRanchOnline.com