market-farming - [Market-farming] Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cyndi Norman <cyndi AT tikvah.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: cyndi AT tikvah.com
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Intro
  • Date: 21 Apr 2003 23:37:32 -0000

Just wanted to poke my head up and say hello. I'm really enjoying reading
all the posts. I just moved to Petaluma, Calif (an hour north of San
Francisco, 20 minutes south of Santa Rosa) and have a mere 3/4 acre. My
main business is soapmaking and I'm in the middle of doing an application
with CCOF to make my production certified organic. Turns out it's pretty
easy to add my land as well, so this tiny plot (well tiny out here) will
all be certified organic as well.

The primary reason I want to certify my land is so I can grow ingredients
for my soap and toiletries (there are some things not commercially
available, like fresh calendula petals) but now I'm thinking I can take
advantage of this and sell some produce alongside my soap at fairs, farmers
markets, even a farm stand on my property if I want (zoned ag/res). Or
perhaps to restaurants. I figure that most of the produce selling will be
in the second year since I need to get used to the soil, pests, weather,
and also get my plants going. We do have about 6 apple trees though so
we'll be selling apples this year.

I'd love to meet other local organic folks (are there any?) and I look
forward to reading more of your very useful information.

Cyndi