market-farming - [Market-farming] Market Research [was Re: Share Boxes (?) ]

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Market Research [was Re: Share Boxes (?) ]
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:50:09 -0700 (PDT)

Leigh Hauter wrote:

We have our subscribers bag/box their own shares, which we feel makes
them happier than if we bag for them. In the past we made available
plastic bags we bought from Monte's (we went through almost 10,000
bags last year. Starting this year we will have a cotton tote bags
with our farm name for subscribers. The subscribers will pay part of
the cost of the tote (we are putting in the amount we paid for
plastic bags last year. These tots are big enough to hold several
plastic grocery bags, which, starting this year, we will not provide.
This way we can get people to recycle grocery bags without the worry
of being responsible for handing out 'dirty' bags. I'll let you know
how it works. But about two months ago we surveyed our returning
subscribers and this is the way they wanted to go. 95% wanted totes
over plastic bags, and of the ones that wanted totes everyone said
they would be willing to pay extra for nicer bags.
<<<<

Great post Leigh!

The power of market research when put to work
is truly amazing. You will get lots of free advertising
when people take those cloth totes to their local
supermarkets. On top of that, when your customers
are asked, they are likely to provide good testimonials
to the value of the CSA.

Watch for your CSA business to pick up this year
AND next. Don't be surprised if there is a positive
increase in traffic to your market stall as well.

I hope you put your web site URL on the tote.

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming