market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] transplant marking alternative

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'sjfb AT worldpath.net'" <sjfb AT worldpath.net>, 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] transplant marking alternative
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 07:58:35 -0500

Good Monday morning!
Don't you just hate the time change? I love having the long daylight hours
after work (to do farm work!), but the older I get, the harder it is to
adjust to that hour's difference.

If you use drip irrigation on your crops, you have a ready-made transplant
marking device. We use T-tape with emitters at 1 foot intervals. We
prepare the bed, lay the T-tape and turn on the water. In about 10 minutes,
you have a circle of wetness at each emitter. Just push the transplant into
the wet spot. No measuring, no digging, no pouring water. We can
transplant literally hundreds of plants an hour this way - Paul dropping
plants down the row, me pushing them into the soil. We may waste a little
space sometimes, planting at 1 foot when we could plant at 9 inches (some
cutflowers, some small lettuces), but most of what we transplant fits in 1
foot, 2 foot (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) or 3 foot (squash, cukes, melons)
intervals. For the brassicas we planted last week, we used 18" spacing, and
I had to "dig" with my fingers in the "dry" spots every other spot, but we
left the drip on for about 3 hours, and everything got watered in well.
This is the easiest way we have ever hand transplanted and we use it for
everything since we lay drip for all crops we grow.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm