market-farming - [Market-farming] rototiller-reply

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bob AT akasha.net>
  • To: "Market-Farming (E-mail)" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] rototiller-reply
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 11:43:12 -0600

"When you mention a 6' tiller, do you mean rototiller? Is the 35HP enough
for a 6' rototiller?

We have been looking into tillers and have been quoted a necessary 3/4HP per
inch of width.

Would appreciate your/anyone's input on the 3/4HP per inch calculation."Tom
Anslow

I have a model 1920 4wd Ford 3 cylinder diesel made in the 80's I think. The
PTO output horsepower is important to how big a tiller and my Ford puts out
about 30-2 hp to the PTO. I have a 4' tiller and later bought a little over
5' tiller and it does a great job. I have the black gumbo heavy clay soil
that turns to rock when it dries up. When I till, I have already broken the
soil with another tool either a middle buster, deep ripper, or a 2 bottom
turning plow. I have a three shank chisel plow but the tractor is just not
big enough to pull it. As I understand from the list it might be better to
use than a turning plow but I can not at the present get a bigger tractor
unless I sold one of the tractors I have. As far as the mower I have a 5'
now. I did have a 6' but it was too big for the tractor in damp grass and
would slow down so I sold it.
Bob C

  • [Market-farming] rototiller-reply, bob, 04/05/2003