market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peaceful Valley's Good Bug Blend

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peaceful Valley's Good Bug Blend
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:55:52 -0500

Allan, you don't need a "recipe"...just the types which are very common,
shouldn't have to send to CA for them. My catalog lists the "ingredient"
seeds in PV's Good Bug Blend as: crimson, rose & sweet clovers, subclovers,
alfalfas, gypsophilia, white alyssum, yarrow, carrot, dill, daikon, celery,
radish, fennel, caraway, chervil, coriander. (Just planting white alyssum
through out my beds dramatically increased the beneficials.)

In the past, I found that any plant--including weeds--that had tiny flowers
generally worked. These beneficial bugs are minute, so their pollen &
nectar source must be minute.

I also note in PV catalog they sell something called "Good Bug Food" which
they say is a combination of brewer's yeast & powdered milk. It says to mix
this combination as one part food to one part honey or sugar and paint it on
stakes or cardboard to stick around your garden. I guess you would have to
add water if you're using sugar...don't know if their "Good Bug Food" is
liquefied. Interesting thing to experiment with....

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com