market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Marketing eggplant-orient charm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Jay Gee <jaygee AT jghelp.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Marketing eggplant-orient charm
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:32:56 -0500

Good idea, Jay. It got me thinking about reaching more people when my
stand is swamped. I've found that most people won't stop to read a
pamphlet. They either ignore them or take them for later reading. But
a larger sign with photos and the explanation of quick, no peel, not
bitter, excellent for grilling... might do the trick. (There's a reason
why they call them "shelf talkers" in the supermarkets, eh?)

And I thought I could add "Ask your farmer for recipes and cooking tips"
for those who like to chat when I'm free. I, and other growers at our
markets, have tried recipes out for the taking and we've found the
browsers who don't buy grab them. So I went to asking people who were
interested if they wanted a free recipe to go with their purchase. One
farmer put a sign on hers: Recipes- $1.00, Free with any purchase. But
I digress, as older farmers do.

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm