market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Eggplant and flea beatles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Eggplant and flea beatles
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:13:42 EST

>Compost is great.  I love it.  I wish I had some!<

One great N source that I have been having great luck with is spent grains from my local brewery. I layer them in an in-vessel system using a 30:1 c/n ratio using wheat straw and shavings as a C source. Within 12 hours I get a temp of around 150 degrees which holds for about 3 days. Then it is turned into a new vessel for 3 days and so on being completely ready in 12 days. The brewery grains work so well because they have a great moisture content and are already beginning to ferment in the trash cans when I pick them up! This may not be new info for you but I thought I would share something that works for me.

>Peaceful Valley's Good Bug Blend<
Bouquet Dill works really well to attract beneficials and trap unwanted pests. A trick that I learned from an old organic farmer (30+ years of growing experience).

Hoop Hoop Hooray, we built our first hoophouse (at this farm) yesterday! And today we are expecting a blizzard.

Shelly
Idle Thyme Farm
www.IdleThymeFarm.com
Zone 5 (borderline 4) Last frost May 15