market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Spider mites

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Spider mites
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:05:44 -0600

Environmental management is really important - spider mites prefer hot, dry
situations. If you use some sort of spray(chemical, botanical, etc.),
remember that their life cycle is very short - to get what you didn't kill
as adults, repeat every five? days - I can't remember how many times, but
I'm sure it's documented a lot of places. Then there are predator mites
that will do a great job in an enclosed place like a greenhouse. We
usually find that improving the humidity in the greenhouse, and picking and
disposing of heavily infested leaves brings them to a point where we can
tolerate the infestation.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm