market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: fast-growing greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Miranda Smith" <miranda AT tagoresmith.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: fast-growing greens
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 07:50:27 -0500

Allen:
If germination is a question, start the seedlings in "channel
trays." --I don't think that's the right word for them, but it
describes them. They have 20 "channels" rather than however many
cells. The ones with channels going the short way across the flat are
stronger and more sturdy than those going the long way. Space the
seeds at an inch apart, remembering to plant only one species per
channel. (It's best to plant only one species per tray, but if you
aren't growing enough to make that economic, seed species from the
same genus in a tray so they germinate at about the same time.) After
they have their first true leaves, you can simply lift out a channel
at a time and transplant it into its final position in the beds. Fast,
simple, no problem with germination...

Try to keep the greenhouse below 80F/days. The greens will taste
better. You should be able to get enough for them to pay for whatever
electricity you spend on vents and fans.

Miranda