market-farming - [Market-farming] serfdom, chickens, and 'family farms'

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] serfdom, chickens, and 'family farms'
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:28:53 -0500

Bob wrote:

There are 14 million chickens raised every week in this small area all on small farms of 5-10 acres each with 50000-250000 chickens each.

I don't know if the serfdom of raising chickens for Perdue is the model of family farm we are trying to promote. There are a lot of real problems with this production model. Anyway, this is also the model planned for the beef industry. Contract production where the 'farmer' has no say so on anything except for getting off the treadmill and going bankrupt (and a number of those staying on the treadmill go bankrupt too.