market-farming - [Market-farming] Watercress, Cheapo Box fans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Watercress, Cheapo Box fans
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:31:41 -0600

Re : Watercress
Miranda, do you have a source for reasonably priced seed? I'd like to
try to sell it live but Johnny's (sorry Rob) price is a bit steep...
> Janet--We grew watercress commercially last year by seeding it in
> groups (almost impossible NOT to, given the small seed size) in
> 50-cell trays, covered with a layer of vermiculite to hold moisture.

Re: Cheapo Box Fans
I've been using some $7.50 box fans from Home Depot for circulation
24-7 for the last 16 months with no problem. You would have to lose
an awful lot of them to justify spending >$100 on a "greenhouse fan".
> Curious if any of you use, for greenhouse ventilation purposes,
those $12
> box fans that you can find at most discount hardware stores. They
tend to be
> about 18" to 24" in diameter and are usually 3 speed.
> 1) Will they run 24hrs/day and not burn up? If so, do you run them
on low,
> med, high?

Don't get them wet...:>)
> 2) What happens when they get wet? FYI I don't plan on touching
them.

I have a central GFI for the greenhouse which is connected to the 6
fan outlets.
> 3) Do I need to ground each fan?

Don't think so I assume they would need to be rated by Underwriters
Laboratory...I put my shade cloth over the outsid e of the greenhouse
over the poly so there is no proximity to the fans...if you remove the
poly I would make sure they don't touch the shade cloth and I would
shield them from rain somehow.
> 3) Are they a greater than normal fire hazard? I have heard that
shade cloth
> can become pretty flammable.

Adriana

  • [Market-farming] Watercress, Cheapo Box fans, Adriana, 03/05/2003