market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Small Engine Tips?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Small Engine Tips?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:35:54 -0600

> > I call 'dry gas' that stuff they sell as 'gas line antifreeze', 'water
> > remover', etc.
> > Prestone, STP, and others have those small bottles (approx.
> 8oz) that you
> > add to your tank to remove water deposits. Most are either menthol or
> > isopropyl alcohol.

Much of it, such as STP, is really only methanol (same thing as methyl
alcohol or wood alcohol) so can be considered a bit toxic, but with
protective rubber gloves, you can also use it for stripping furniture that
you want to refinish. And at a much lower price than say, Formby's product
which is pretty similar. It takes off the shellac and more easily
dissolvable finishes without destroying the patina and leaves some of the
original stain. You can use 0000 steel wool to help work it in. Then for the
new seal consider Tung oil.

It is one of those "products" that cost nearly nothing to produce.

Reminds me of the colored liquid they sell as septic tank revitalizer. Very
pricey per gallon. But it really is nothing more than a high sugar content
mixture ... with food coloring added to make it look like more impressive.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams